The Baron's Family Business
Philip Hendrick Nering Bögel, the Baron de Bastrop, was born into a prominent, well-to-do family. His grandfather had been a financier of steel mills in the Netherlands which led his older brother to eventually become the owner of a successful iron foundry in Europe.
aptly named, the Nering Bögel Company.
In 1817, the Baron’s nephew assumed management of the company at the age of 23. Through innovations such as the replacement of horses with steam engines and billows with air pumps the Nering Bögel Company into the largest, most successful foundry in Europe.
Passed down through many generations of Nering Bögel’s the company was sold in 1950, when J. L. Nering Bögel retired. The new owners kept the name and although no longer a foundry, the Nering Bögel company continued to prosper through innovative designs in water pumping systems.
In 2006 the company was purchased by Richard Janssen, who graciously agreed to appear in this 2014 interview. We hope you enjoy this fascinating insight into the Baron’s mysterious life.
An iron foundry and machine factory had been operating in Deventer since 1850 under the name Nering Bögel . After the bankruptcy of the production activities in 1932, a trading company in cast iron articles continued under the same name, originally in Wassenaar and from 1955 in Weert . Despite some name changes, the company was popularly known as 'Nering Bögel', a name best known to the public because of the markings on manhole covers .
The company's origins date back to 1756 when Hendrik Lindeman founded an iron mill in Deventer for the processing of iron ore . This was sold in 1825 to H. Nederburg and his son-in-law Johan Laurents Nering Bögel (the Baron's nephew). In 1849 he transferred the company with his two eldest sons Johann Frederik and William Laurens to the Firma JL Nering Bögel & Comp . In 1902 the company was converted into a corporation named Deventer Foundry and Machine Co. and formerly JL Nering Bögel . As a result of the crisisthe company went bankrupt in 1932, but the last director JAC Nering Bögel (1883-1964) let the name continue through a trade office in Wassenaar , which had castings produced elsewhere. In 1950 he sold his company to iron foundry De Globe in Weert, to which the office was also moved in 1955. From 1965 Nering Bögel NV , later Nering Bögel BV was owned by various investors and for some time affiliated with Buderus . In 2006 it was taken over by the current general manager Richard Janssen, who joined the company in 1995. In the Worpplantsoen The Nering Bögel Music Dome has now been built in Deventer as an ode to the people of Deventer who worked in this foundry for generations (1756 to 1932).
Nering Bögel originally operated a blast furnace and foundry. In 1831, the company was the first in the Netherlands to install cupola furnaces, where iron was melted down as a semi-finished product into a final product. In the same period a machine factory was established: in 1837 the first steam boiler, in 1840 the first steam engine. The blast furnace was discontinued in 1870. The company grew into the largest foundry in the Netherlands with more than a thousand employees at its peak. The company had major clients such as the Dutch Railways and the Dutch East Indies Railway Company . Nering Bögel applied steam power early onthe first steam installation was installed in 1831. In 1853, Nering Bögel designed and built one of the first steam engines with an oscillating cylinder (30 hp) in the Netherlands.
In addition to the general castings that iron foundries traditionally produced, Nering Bögel also made letterboxes , fences , lampposts , funerary monuments, fountains . She was also the main supplier of cast iron lighthouses in the Netherlands and the Dutch East Indies (including those of Ameland , Westkapelle Laag and Scheveningen ). The pillars in the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam also come from this company. In addition to steam boilers and steam engines , the machine factory manufactured locomotives , wheels , rollers , engines ,pumps , cylinders , canopies and machinery for sugar factories and for paper and strawboard factories (straw cookers was a unique specialty). After the bankruptcy in 1932, the last director of Nering Bögel (JAC Nering Bögel) established a trading company in Wassenaar that specialized in street sewerage and covers under license for Elkington (England). With this, JAC Nering Bögel has provided a new basis for the current Nering Bögel in Weert, which became the market leader in street sewerage.